SENIOR APPLIED SCIENTIST – AMAZON
Do you want to be part of a new team at Amazon that is making history? Do you want to build technology and new science that millions of people will use? Are you excited about working on large scale Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), and Deep Learning (DL)?
We in Amazon search are embarking on a multi-year journey to rethink the shopping experience on Amazon starting with a solid understanding of the customer’s shopping mission based on their search query and using that to present products that they will like, view, and purchase. We are challenging the established idea that a list of results is the best experience when customers are looking to shop for the right product and that we should be designing shopping pages rather than search pages. But all that begins with a deep and accurate understanding of the query and very high precision matches of the query to products in our product catalog. And we believe that the latest advances in deep learning technology can help us realize our team’s long-term vision of making shopping effortless on Amazon.
We are looking for a tenured researcher to work on improving multilingual search on Amazon using NLP, ML, and DL technology. This is a highly visible role with a huge impact on Amazon customers and businesses. As a part of this role, you will be lead an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop high precision, high recall, and low latency solutions for multilingual search. Your solutions should work for all languages that Amazon supports including but not limited to German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, etc. and will be used in all Amazon locales world-wide. You will work with managers and Principals to develop a long term plan to improve the multilingual search on Amazon. You will develop scalable science and engineering solutions that work successfully in production.
This is a position on a new Multilingual Search team in Bangalore (India). We are moving fast to change the way Amazon search works. As a Senior Applied Scientist, you will lead scientists and engineers in Bangalore and serve as the point of contact with teams in Seattle and Palo Alto. Together with a multi-disciplinary team, you will work on building solutions with NLP/ML/DL at its core. Along the way, you’ll learn a ton, have fun, and make a positive impact on millions of people.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, or a related quantitative field
- 5+ years of industry experience building successful production software systems
- Experience with machine learning technologies, Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing ( NLP), information retrieval and/or related applications
- Experience in a modern programming language (Python, Java, or similar)
- Experience communicating with executives and non-technical leaders
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, and statistics
- · Significant peer-reviewed scientific contributions in Natural Language Processing, Speech Recognition, Computer Vision, or relevant field.
- Expertise on a broad set of ML approaches and techniques, ranging from Artificial Neural Networks to Bayesian Non-Parametric methods
- Expert in more than one more major programming languages (Java, C++, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar)